The Road to Santiago.

October 19, 2002




[Editor's notes: Burgos, a city of about 50,000, is in a shallow river valley in the center of a high, windswept plateau. The Rio Arlanzón flows through the city and has beautiful avenues and gardens lining its banks. Dudley stayed in a Burgos hotel for two days to write and transmit his journal text and photos. He calculates that he's traveled about one third of the way or about 150 miles. It was a good time to stop and take time to let a couple of sore spots heal.]

The lobby of the hotel was quite large, a part of which served as an appealing sitting room. It had several well-upholstered armchairs and sofas, a TV, and an antique writing desk. The pleasant ambiance created by the furnishings gave one the feeling of being in an early 20th century hotel (except for the TV). I sat at the desk with my computer and digital camera and started to work.

I was deep in creative thought when I suddenly realized that the question "How are you?" was directed to me. It was the German woman who had been sick back in Santo Domingo de Calzada. When I inquired as to her health, she said that it was better but that the rain was aggravating it. So, she wanted to stay over for a day in Burgos in hopes that the weather would finally clear up. Unfortunately for her, the hotel was completo (full). We wished each other good luck and she left.

For over two hours I tried to transmit my journal but couldn't get through to the Internet. I began to doubt that I'd ever get through. It was then that I decided that I would have to stay an extra day. I went to the front desk and told them that I would need the habitación (room) for an extra day. Fortunately for me that could be arranged. The extra rest time would give my shoulder, which was still bothering me, a chance to recover.

When I got back from dinner at 10:00, I hooked up the computer again and started the dial-up connection. Every time I tried, it would disconnect. I waited for a bit and started all over again. Finally, I got through to the Internet at 11:00 p.m. The text for the journal transmits very quickly, but each photo takes at least 5 minutes, that is, if the server doesn't disconnect. To transmit the photos and text took 2-1/2 hours. I was exhausted, so about 1:30 I went to bed.

Previous Journal Entry. Next Journal Entry.